For Your Home
Add a Natural Gas Appliance
Easy Steps To Add Or Replace A Natural Gas Appliance
Newer Natural Gas Appliances may have higher gas volume demands and pressure requirements. To ensure proper installation:
- Contractor verifies the total BTU input rating for existing appliance(s) as well as the appliances being added and /or replaced.
- Contractor verifies the gas pressure requirements that the manufacturer suggests for the appliance(s) being added.
- Contractor contacts WG to determine if both the service line capacity and gas pressure for the home are adequate. Call WG at (703) 941-HEAT.
- Contractor determines if a split-meter would be right application for installation. (See Explanation Below)
- Contractor and or customer submits the Added Load / Split Meter Request Form.
- WG will contact customer and / or contractor to schedule installation and confirm whether there are additional costs for the service.
When adding a gas appliance, contractor may request WG to install a split-meter. In this application WG would install a new meter (or reinstall the old meter) and 2 regulators to provide 2PSIG pressure to the new appliances and 7.0 inches water column pressure to the existing appliances.
When & Why Contractors would use a Split Meter
- It can be cheaper and easier to run new gas piping from the meter than teeing off the existing house piping system.
- The existing low pressure house piping system is inadequately sized for handling the additional load of a new gas appliance.
- The new gas appliance may require a higher gas pressure that can be delivered by the existing system, thus making the split-meter the only feasible system to install.
Please be aware that there may be a charge for the installation of the split and/or upgraded meter. The Meter Contractor will notify the customer of these charges. Additionally, it is possible that the service line may need to be replaced, in which case there will be an additional charge. A Washington Gas Representative will notify the customer of the potential costs associated with a service line replacement.